In one of the earlier posts, we had seen how to completely backup wordpress manually. Today, we shall learn how to setup wordpress to create automatic backups and store them in Dropbox. This is actually a must for all wordpress blogs. This will not only backup your files but will backup your database as well. The process is simple and can be done in seconds.
For Setting Up WordPress Auto-Backup Into Dropbox, You Require:
- A Dropbox Account (premium is preferable)
- A wordpress Blog
Steps To Setup Automatic WordPress Backup Into Dropbox
- For making this process very simple, we are using a plugin called the WordPress Backup to Dropbox. So first install it into your wordpress blog and continue reading the procedure.
- Next what you need to do is, open a new tab, go to Dropbox.com and login. After you have logged in leave the tab open.
- Now login to your wordpress dashboard. Activate WordPress Backup to Dropbox Plugin.
- After you have activated the plugin, you will notice that on the sidebar of your wordpress dashboard,
you will find a new menu called WPB2D. This menu was created by the plugin.
- Click on the WPB2D menu. This will take you to the settings page of the plugin. In the settings page,
you will be asked to link you Dropbox account with the plugin. click on the link button.
- Since you had already logged on in the second step, you will now directly be taken to the approval page in a new tab. Click on approve. After approval is complete, go back to the tab where plugin settings were open. Now click on confirm button that appears on the plugin settings page.
- After you have done that, you can change the other plugin settings like the backup schedule according to your wish. I would recommend that you do a weekly backup if you have a normal Dropbox account. If you have a premium Dropbox account, you may do a daily backup.
- Another suggestion is that you do not exclude any folders in the backup as you may never know which one is going to be helpful.